For the Tartar Sauce:
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl and refrigerate.
For the Cakes:
- Drain hearts of palm and lay them on a cutting board; thinly slice them lengthwise and then chop them in the other direction; then flake the pieces with your fingers into a bowl
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat
- Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper, sautéing until tender or about four minutes
- Add the vegetable mixture to the bowl with the hearts of palm and set aside the pan for use later
- Add the arrowroot powder, parsley and plain mayonnaise and then mix well
- Dust a plate with cassava flour
- Form the mixture into patties and then coat them in the cassava flour
- Add oil to the pan and heat for one minute before gentling cooking the cakes until golden brown on each side, about two minutes per side
- Alternatively, bake cakes in the oven at 390°F or 200°C for about ten minutes, flipping once
- Plate each cake on a bed of rocket/arugula, topped with tartar sauce and with a lemon wedge on the side
Prescott, M. (2018). Food is the Solution: Save the Bay Crab Cakes Recipe. New York: Flat Iron Books.
Robertson, R. (2017). Hearts of Palm and Artichoke Cakes. Robin Robertson Global Recipes from My Vegan Kitchen. Available from: https://robinrobertson.com/heart-palm-artichoke-cakes/ (Accessed on 30 October 2021)